The government said Friday it will ban the collection of resident registration numbers in principle, starting later this year, as part of efforts to strengthen the protection of personal information and prevent its abuse by hackers and other criminals. Under new measures set to take effect after the revision of the Personal Information Protection Act, government offices and private companies will be basically prohibited from gathering and using resident registration numbers online starting in August and offline by the end of this year, the government said.
The measures, jointly announced by the Korea Communications Commission, the Ministry of Public Administration and Security, and the Financial Services Commission, will be enforced, except for inevitable circumstances. Resident registration numbers have been widely used for the purposes of administrative, financial, medical and welfare services.
The move comes as a number of local companies that collected and stored users’ identification information came under cyber attacks last year, compromising the private information of millions of Koreans.
For full article see Yonhap News.