South Korea will again seek to join the elite global space club next week with a third launch of its Korea Space Launch Vehicle-1 (KSLV-1), the science ministry said yesterday.
The space rocket, also known as Naro, will be launched Wednesday from the country’s Naro Space Center, 480 kilometers (299 miles) south of Seoul, the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology said in a released statement. The decision came at a meeting of the Launch Preparation Committee.
“After reviewing launch preparations and weather forecasts, the committee has confirmed the third launch of the Naro will be possible on Jan. 30 as of now,” the ministry said.
The launch committee earlier set Jan. 30-Feb. 8 as candidate dates for the scheduled launch. It will be South Korea’s third attempt to send the KSLV-1 into space after its two attempts in 2009 and 2010 ended in failures.
For full article, see Joongang Daily.
South Korea will this week set a more definite date for the liftoff of its Korea Space Launch Vehicle-1 (KSLV-1), the government said Wednesday. The country’s Launch Preparation Committee earlier set Jan. 30-Feb. 8 as possible dates for what will be its third launch of KSLV-1, also known as Naro.
“The committee will be convened at 11 a.m. Thursday and select a launch date within the candidate dates after reviewing technical preparations and weather conditions,” the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology said in a statement.
The country’s first two attempts to send the KSLV-1 into space in 2009 and 2010 ended in failures. A successful launch of the space rocket will make the country the world’s 13th nation to send a satellite into space from its own soil. The third launch of the KSLV-1 was originally set to take place on Oct. 26 but was delayed due to a damaged rubber seal in the connector between the rocket and the launch pad.
For full article see Korea Herald.
South Korea is expected to try again to launch its space rocket later this month after successfully conducting experiments to check if all systems are working properly, a government source said Sunday. The official said South Korean and Russian researchers are expected to discuss results of repairs made to the rocket late last year and touch on the present state of the Naro-1 rocket. He added Seoul successfully carried out combustion tests on the kick motor on the locally built second stage solid fuel rocket, making it likely that the launch will take place soon.
The rocket, also called the Korea Space Launch Vehicle-1 (KSLV-1), was built jointly by Russia and South Korea, since Seoul does not have the necessary knowhow in the space development field. Russia made the main first stage liquid fuel rocket, with South Korea making the second stage and the satellite.
“The Naro launch management committee meeting planned for this week will set the exact date for the launch, and barring unexpected events such as adverse weather conditions, the date will probably be set for the 25th,” the government source said.
For full article, see Korea Herald.