South Korea will again seek to join the elite global space club next week with a third launch of its Korea Space Launch Vehicle-1 (KSLV-1), the science ministry said yesterday.
The space rocket, also known as Naro, will be launched Wednesday from the country’s Naro Space Center, 480 kilometers (299 miles) south of Seoul, the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology said in a released statement. The decision came at a meeting of the Launch Preparation Committee.
“After reviewing launch preparations and weather forecasts, the committee has confirmed the third launch of the Naro will be possible on Jan. 30 as of now,” the ministry said.
The launch committee earlier set Jan. 30-Feb. 8 as candidate dates for the scheduled launch. It will be South Korea’s third attempt to send the KSLV-1 into space after its two attempts in 2009 and 2010 ended in failures.
For full article, see Joongang Daily.
South Korea is expected to try again to launch its space rocket later this month after successfully conducting experiments to check if all systems are working properly, a government source said Sunday. The official said South Korean and Russian researchers are expected to discuss results of repairs made to the rocket late last year and touch on the present state of the Naro-1 rocket. He added Seoul successfully carried out combustion tests on the kick motor on the locally built second stage solid fuel rocket, making it likely that the launch will take place soon.
The rocket, also called the Korea Space Launch Vehicle-1 (KSLV-1), was built jointly by Russia and South Korea, since Seoul does not have the necessary knowhow in the space development field. Russia made the main first stage liquid fuel rocket, with South Korea making the second stage and the satellite.
“The Naro launch management committee meeting planned for this week will set the exact date for the launch, and barring unexpected events such as adverse weather conditions, the date will probably be set for the 25th,” the government source said.
For full article, see Korea Herald.
Korea plans to launch the Korea Space Launch Vehicle-1 (KSLV-1) next week in its third attempt to send a rocket into space from its own soil, a government committee said Thursday. “Nov. 29 has been set as the candidate launch date,” the Naro Launch Preparation Committee said in a released statement. “The possible time of the launch will be between 4 and 6:55 p.m. with the actual time to be decided on the launch date.”
It said, however, that both the date and time were still tentative as bad weather conditions and many other issues could further delay the planned launch.
Seoul originally sought to launch the KSLV-1, also known as Naro-1, on Oct. 26 but a broken rubber seal in a connector or adapter between the rocket and its launch pad forced it to reschedule its third attempt to put a rocket into space. The first two attempts, in August 2009 and June 2010, both ended in failure.
For full article see Korea Times.
A national space committee endorsed Thursday the country’s third attempt to launch its first space rocket later in the year. Under the launch plan, the Korea Space Launch Vehicle-1 (KSLV-1), also known as Naro-1, will be launched in October, the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology said in a press release.
“With the approval of the launch plan, the ministry and the Korea Aerospace Research Institute can now start preparing for the launch, and the third launch of Naro-1 will take place in October as planned,” it said.
The country’s first two attempts to put a space rocket and satellite into the Earth’s orbit took place in August 2009 and June 2010, but they both failed to accomplish their goals. In the first launch, the rocket reached orbit, but faulty release mechanisms prevented proper deployment of the small scientific satellite. During the second attempt, the Naro-1 rocket exploded during ascent due to what was later determined as problems in the rocket’s electrical system.
For full article see Yonhap News.