Korea ranks the second among OECD countries for R&D investment to GDP ratio

Korea’s R&D (research & development) scale was found to be in the top level among those of OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development) countries. On the 24th, the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning announced the presentation of a report titled “OECD Science, Technology and Industry Score Board’ at the ‘OECD Global Forum on the Knowledge Economy’ held in Istanbul, Turkey.

According to the report, Korea was ranked the second in terms of the ratio of R&D intensity to GDP and the ratio of R&D investment by private companies to GDP. In the last report published in 2011, Korea was ranked the fourth in both categories. In addition, Korea was ranked the fourth in terms of the government’s private R&D subsidy and tax support scale to GDP ratio.

Korea recorded 4.03% in the ratio of total R&D investment to GDP, and thus is only 0.35% behind the top-ranking Israel (4.38%). Finland and Japan, the third and the fourth countries, recorded 3.78% and 3.39% respectively.

For full article, see Korea IT News.

Advertisements

Korea ranks 2nd in ICT business R&D investment

South Korea ranked second among Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development economies in terms of research and development investment in the information, communication and technology businesses, a recent report showed.

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development’s Internet Economy Outlook 2012 released on Sunday showed that Korean companies in the ICT sectors invested 1.48 percent of the nation’s GDP in R&D.

Asia’s fourth-largest economy came in third after Finland, which invests 1.62 percent of its GDP in ICT business R&D, and Taiwan, which spends 1.52 percent of its GDP in the sector. Korea therefore comes in second among OECD nations as Taiwan is not a member country. Only four countries, including Korea, Finland, Taiwan and Israel (1.14 percent) a invested more than 1 percent of the nations’ GDP in ICT R&D, according to the report.

For full article, see Korea Herald.

Korea’s high-speed wireless Internet penetration tops 100 pct

South Korea’s high-speed wireless Internet penetration rate has topped the 100 percent mark for the first time among member nations of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), a report showed Sunday.

The penetration rate of high-speed wireless Internet service in South Korea amounted to 100.6 percent as of the end of last year, the highest among the 34 members of the Paris-based club of advanced economies, according to the OECD report. The figure represents a sharp increase from 89.8 percent from a year earlier and is nearly double the average OECD average of 54.3 percent. High-speed wireless Internet services include those provided by third-generation and fourth-generation smartphones, the wireless broadband (WiBro) and wireless fidelity (WiFi).

For full article see Yonhap News.